Monday 13 April 2009

endings

Endings 1

We whooped away all the long summer days,
Our skin thin cotton flailing in the haze.
We played until the sea swallowed the sun,
Our feet tickling the sky all summer long.

We scooped away all the long summer days,
Stuck to our lips. ‘Come and wash!’ our mum says.
Splashing and chasing, rushing and jumping,
Not caring if we fell and were stinging.

But then it suddenly came to an end,
This innocent fun with all of our friends.
Our smiles disappeared like a blackening sun.
First dad was here and then he was gone.

Alone in the vast, our hearts ripped to shreds,
Piercing screams echoed, tearing through our heads.
Innocence shattered, we’d nowhere to hide,
Footprints of youth washed away like the tide.

Shadows of our past returning to me,
Closing slowly in on freedom to be.
Dark days were ahead though none of us knew,
Dark days were ahead as we grew and grew.


Endings 2

My ring long gone, though its imprint remains,
Two decades rushed by and now I’m alone.
My splintered heart will never be the same,
Like the disintegration of my home.

Sad, peeling walls shed the dust of our life.
Blocking my sight, I see no more sun,
Now i know I'm no longer his wife!
I tried, but now nothing more can be done.

With echoes of us swirling round my feet,
Little voices dissipate in my head.
The stark bare rooms as empty as my heart,
A void unfilled nothing more can be said.

Silence, as the final box shuts on us,
It’s a different path I take from my home.
His shadow does not follow. I make no fuss,
As I head forward for once all alone.

He gets smaller and smaller as I go,
Still crushing what’s left with nothing to show.
Though my life is now mine and mine to make,
I hear his footsteps with each step I take.

No comments: